Wednesday, December 8, 2010

En Tránsito

As stated by the American novelist Charles Dudley Warner, "There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it."

As I sit here in Houston en route (in tránsito) at the beginning of our adventure, I am reminded why we decided set out on this journey. A few years ago, I heard Dr. David Flemming, the Director and Public Health Officer of King County Public Health speak at a conference. He came to King County after over a decade of work with the Gates Foundation. As he talked about his global projects, he remarked that many of the same problems exist in our own local environments. He had gained unique skills from observing these issues abroad and could creatively work on the issues in his own county. This speech awakened my desire to experience other cultures, learn from them and ultimately gain a better understanding of the problems that exist, hidden away in parts of our own country.

Aaron and I have always enjoyed traveling together, seeing different cultures and meeting new people. We took our honeymoon in China while most people recommended Hawaii. Alas, the extent to which we understand and learn from a culture is directly related to both the time spent in the country and the exposures provided. While Aaron and I could undoubtedly have an enriching experience through a couple of weeks of volunteerism, we want to come to know and appreciate these countries on a deeper level. We want to see some impact from our work there....For this reason, we are about to embark on two long term cultural exchanges and volunteering projects - one in Guatemala and one in Bolivia.

So, here's to the start of our journey. This blog will serve as a place for our reflections on all that we hope to learn. Thanks for reading!
 

5 comments:

  1. 12/8/2010 - LITTLE CAT DIARY -
    Kitties are very slowly adjusting to their new temporary life with me. The first few days they hissed and hide while I was at home. Couldn’t touch them. Kiya is the brave one – she started sleeping up on my bed (on her blanket). She lets me pet her (for a moment only before jumping down and retiring to the cat cave [under my bed]). Then, last night sometime she found the top of her cat condo (I found her there when I went in to make coffee), and Miles was in the living room on the floor staring up at her (which is a big step for him – he has been living under my bed and in my closet I think – hides every time he sees me). I am sure they will come around – it is a process for them. I think Miles found his new mouse in the night – it too was in the living room.

    As predicted, Kiya found the window in my bedroom fascinating (looking out at her new world). I’m sure they will both like the windows in the Spring – hundreds of birds chirping in the mornings.

    Stay tuned for updates

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12/10/2010 - LITTLE CAT DIARY -
    Christmas is definately the season of miracles. Miles came out of the bedroom while I was home last night, jumped up on the coach, and nestled himself into his faux mink blanket - he didn't take his eyes off me (seated across the room from him). He stayed for a couple of hours. Yeh, the siege has ended.

    Kiya on the other hand is making herself right at home. She is in all the windows, top of her cat condo, and has even taken over my faux lamb blanket - found her sleeping there this am. She actually followed me around this am waiting for her breakfast. BTW - someone ate the fresh salmon.

    Stay tuned for the weekend installment. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam - we love the updates! Glad to hear that the 'kids' are adjusting. Lots of love from us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour et salut,
    Hi Gillian,hola Aaron;
    I just discovered that your blog is active...and that you made it to your first destination...it will be my pleasure to read up on your next and next steps....I also discovered that I could enroll at a Bolivean language school in Cochabamba - let me look at that possibility to learn more Spanish while having you around as well...more than just un saludo cordial Jorge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Little Cat Diaries - Santa Paws to Mom and Dad
    MERRY CHRISTMAS - had a wonderful Christmas breakfast and pets this morning - Pam turned on Lion Ranger for us so we could watch our cousins (from the safety of the cat condo). It is grey and rainy - puurrffect sleeping weather.

    Since you guys dropped us off at Pam's house, it has been an adventure. The first couple of weeks we lived under the bed and in the closets, and avoided Pam most of the time. Lately, we have been spending time in the living room, kitchen, and on top of her bed - I think we finally have her trained. She takes good care of us, and tries to play with us, but we are not ready to play yet. Although Kiya curled up in her lap the other night (she is so brave). Pam has wonderful bird watching windows - and lots of birds ! Pam does her best to love us up (when we let her), and one or both of us sleep at the foot of her bed each night. If you had to go, we are glad you dropped us off here. We really miss you two and can't wait for you to come back and pick us up. Looks like you two are having a great time "making a difference."

    Love - Kiya and Miles

    ReplyDelete